This is not the actual car. My husband is tearing our basement apartlooking for our box of photographs. I'll post the photo later.
When I was a junior in high school my sister went off to college and this 1950 Buick Dynaflow Roadmaster was passed on to me. My grandmother bought it new and around 1965 or 1966 gave it to my sister. It was 15 years old and had 40,000 miles. The front grill alone probably weighed several hundred pounds. (slight exaggeration) The interior was green plaid. My grandma went to the grocery store once a week and to the bank. The rest of the time the Dynaflow sat in her garage on 9th avenue in Sacramento. Needless to say it was in mint condition when it was passed on to us.
My Dynaflow sat seven people comfortably. It was a great car for the drive-in theater.It was also great for camping at the beach. The seats were so large it was like having two twin beds. Plus, my plaid flannel lined sleeping bag matched the seats.
Eventually, my sister reclaimed the car and took it to college with her. Just as well since it only got about 10 miles to the gallon. That's when I began my long love affair with the VW Bug.
Holy smokes! That is one beautiful automobile. The thing about cars back then...if you got into a fender bender with one, the damage was so minimal you could pound a dent out yourself. Today, the crumple apart like tin foil. P.S. I love VW Bugs, too. I had one of the new ones but I also love the classic style.
ReplyDeleteWow - what a cool car. I'd never heard that story before. Which I think means that we totally need to hang out more!
ReplyDeleteAnd did you know that I absolutely love Volkswagen bugs, too? One of these days my sisters and I will do a whole post about Volkswagens and our family.
Why thanks GoRetro and Heidi Ann, yes it was a cool car/tank. I sideswiped a parked car one time in Dynaflow. Wiped out the door of the other car big time but it was a company car and lucky for me he didn't even make me pay. Heidi, I didn't know you were a VW family. I can share some stories with you about the many bugs I've had. You are right. We need to have an afternoon strictly to ourselves. No kids, no seniors. We have some catching up to do.
ReplyDeleteWhat a truly beautiful car! I would love to drive one of those!
ReplyDeleteHO... LEE.... MO... LEE! That is a fine piece of Detroit Metal!! A 15 mile per hour collision would barely leave a scratch! LOL!!
ReplyDeleteTHIS WAS MY CAR!! I had one just like this in High School. Holy retro memories. I loved that car.
ReplyDeleteMy dad helped me buy it because it was the biggest, safest vehicle on the road besides a Mack truck.
Oh, I loved that car....