Friday, April 23, 2010

Time To Build a Dream

Our offer was accepted on the property today! We are really excited about the prospect of building a "mid century modern" home. We have always bought fixers so the idea of building something from the ground up is really appealing. We like the advantages of "new" but we want it to look like it's been here for 50 years. Is that weird? I hear you all shouting a big "No it's not weird Jamie!" That's why we're friends. New is good, new that looks old is better. Am I right?







It was a good day.
On top of the land business, I found some great things at the thrift stores!
Am I lucky or what?

Here is another vacuum cleaner storage box with some really snazzy upholstery.


This little Winfield China ashtray was at Salvation Army.

Another sweet Siamese kitty. This one is black ceramic.

I found this painting last week at Mountain Treasures. It was painted by Ann Knapton in April of 1969. I know this because the woman that originally bought it taped an envelope with her cancelled check on the back of the painting. I couldn't find much on the artist except that she belonged to the San Diego Art Guild in the 60's. This is not a great photo. The colors are much more vivid.

This owl oil painting was dropped off at Salvation Army while I was standing there.
It's about 3'x3'. I marched right in the store and paid $5.99 for it! It doesn't really fit in our livingroom but I think it will look nice against the white brick fireplace at our senior home.
I love "up" lighting. We found 4 white up lights the other day for cheap at one of the thrift stores.
That's all for now.

10 comments:

  1. I almost called you today - I am so happy for you!!!!!!!
    And, here it comes "No, it's not weird, Jamie!"
    I am enthralled by your whole idea of the house you want to build, and I can't wait to see.
    I almost bought that vinyl-covered box yesterday. In fact, today I was thinking maybe I should go back tomorrow and see if it was still there...
    Guess I won't be doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I love the land how gorgeous.
    And your thrift store finds are very great too, I am liking the vacuum cleaner storage box, and the two paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool you have your own fire plug! If you don't have a dog yet, now is the time to get one. I love the little alarm clock. Looks like those fireplaces! The owl painting is really cool too. Great finds and congrats on your land!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful piece of land, how cool will it be to see that view through huge plate glass windows? And, I LOVE the landscape painting, lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please hurry up and build the house so I can come visit! It's a beautiful piece of land and your dream WILL come true. That is, as long as you can keep your sanity up to the closing. I finally got the condo paperwork from the lender after hearing him say he was sending it for a week--and now I have three days to get it back to him! Good thing we're under a tornado watch so I can't do much but stay in the house and do paperwork. The kitty cat figurine is toooo cute, but the clock is the best! Missed you, Madam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the land. It is so much fun building a new/old house! Enjoy the process! You have a beautiful landscape to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow !! congratulations...its been my long standing dream to rebuild my parents home into a vintage mcm looking masterpiece.....:)...really happy for you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!! How long will it take you to build your dream home? Are you starting right away or waiting?? Wow, lucky you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "No it's not weird Jamie!" That's so exciting, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay, congratulations! Your land is gorgeous, I'm so happy for you. And very cool paintings you found!

    ReplyDelete