I'm taking my son to Berkeley this weekend.
We plan on visiting Berkeley Art Museum (BAM)

I was told they have several Charles and Ray Eames
pieces. Unfortunately I'm about three years late
for "The Birth of Cool". Darnit!
We will visit the shops on Telegraph Avenue.
And visit People's Park for old times sake.

I found myself in the middle of a riot there,
quite by accident, back in 1969.
It was not a pretty sight.
Read more about the People's Park Riots here.

I was 16, driving through the city with a couple
friends to check out what all the hoopla on the news
was about. We nearly were caught in the crossfire.
What were we thinking?

If my mother had known,
I would have been grounded FOREVER!
Do you think this girl's mother found out?


photos Rolling Stone Magazine June 14, 1969
What a scary experience. As a kid I did a few things I'm glad mama didn't know but as a mama I wanna know EVERYTHING when it comes to stuff like that (I also moved far away, but want my kids to find happiness in their own backyard, which should be close to Mama's backyard!)
ReplyDelete