Monday, November 8, 2010

Needing some advice...

We found this cool little chair a while back.
The seat is very thick leather.
It's badly stained and we're wondering,
should we attempt to clean it,
or stain it?
Or take it to someone like
the cobbler in town
and have him "fix it".

I love its sexy curves.

This is burned into the frame on the back.
Anyone recognize the mark?
Is it something terribly famous?
A one-of-a-kind
Eero Saarinen?

Doesn't really matter.
We like it.
We also like Apple-Pear Pie.
My husband baked this one.
It was delicious.
Fall isn't officially here
until you have a piece of
Apple-Pear Pie.
Yum.

21 comments:

  1. Try saddle soap and leather conditioner on it first. If that doesn't work, take it to someone. It's cool!

    Gimme the pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Find out what it is, before you do anything to it.

    Then take it to a pro, if it's something good. if not, meh take it to a lesser pro lol...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll give it a try. Thanks Barbara.
    Sorry,the pie is all gone. Doesn't last long in this house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a pretty cool chair; I like Barbara's ideas. My 1st instinct is always MAGIC ERASER, but I'm sure that would ruin the leather, so don't listen to me.

    Gorgeous Pie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a beautiful chair.

    I'd also confirm its status in the world of chairs before you do anything. You could be literally sitting on a fortune!

    Do you know some forums?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The peeps over at http://www.20thcenturyforum.com/ always give great advice to me! Perhaps someone there has seen the mark?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could offer more help with the chair but it looks to me like it could be the mark of Danish artist or craftsmen. I hope you can find more info about it. And YUM! That pie looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum is right. Now, I want to bake another pie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think if the leather was dyed black it would look really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First you sell all your artwork, then you tell me there is no pie?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the advice everybody. Sorry Barbara, next time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wanted it to be a surprise but I did in fact remeber your cocktail napkins! I set 2 packs out for the "dessert" portion of Thanksmass!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's an Yngve Ekstrom "Lamino" lounge chair. Nice Chair. Take it to a Leather and Fur (coat) cleaner to see if they can fix the leather. Worth (depending on where you can sell it) I'd guess between $250 & $750. Seeing as you are on the west coast (lucky dog) I'd go high. If I were selling it here in St. Louis on Craigslist, I'd price it (as is) at $300 so I'd think you could get $450 for a fairly quick sale there.

    Do I get a Pie for a prize?

    ReplyDelete
  14. That chair is amazing. I have a little obsession with chairs; although it is a little tougher to indulge in than say, shoes or sheets or plates from TJ Maxx.

    Thanks for your comment - and no, Logan did not send the phone back (although I will loose all my numbers AGAIN) - I am just going to let the little guy have it.

    Best,
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was going to let you know it's an Ekstrom Lamino, but I see Mr. Modtomic beat me to it. :) I'd definitely have a leather expert look at it and find out if it can be cleaned before I stained it a different color. There's one listed for $1300 on 1stdibs right now, and it appears to have wool upholstery, so you could have something very valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah, Dana...you got "Snaked"! ;]

    Where's my Pie? I always wondered if one could bake a Pear Pie. I guess so!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You know, you could remove the leather and replace it with a piece of Holstein (black and white) tanned cow hide (hair on). That would look really cool, be in keeping with the Mid Century aesthetic and you could keep the original piece of leather to include if you ever wanted to sell it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the cow hide idea. Your pie is in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think the cowhide idea is cool too. I had never priced hides before, and the former librarian in me always has to look things up. I found this place: http://www.4hides.com They had some great full hides for around $150-200.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the link Dana. I had no idea what they cost either. Maybe I can find one in a thrift store! I'll check out the link.

    ReplyDelete