Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Little Detour

Son #3 and I took a trip to Berkeley last weekend.
We had a slightly confusing detour
in one of the (cow)towns along the way....

because it was Rodeo Weekend...

and EVERYTHING stops for the rodeo.

Once we made it to Berkeley
our first stop was Rasputin Music...
"Keep'n the bay area bump'n since 1971"
If you're a vinyl junkie,
you'll go crazy in this place.




Second stop was Scandinavian Design Store
on Shattuck Avenue. Wow!




Next up was The Starving Musician .
My son would have gladly camped out here.


He begrudgingly carried on
to our next stop.
This store was my personal favorite.
Modernaire on Dwight Way
is a(n) MCM's dream.
You can view a video here.

I could have camped out here the rest of the day.

Broyhill 60s Space Age Dresser



We spied some interesting places
on the way back to the hotel.


Really??

We ogled over some
magnificent MCM architecture.

This building houses the
U.C. Berkeley career center.

We ate Thai food that was so very delicious
and dragged ourselves back to the
a very reasonably priced hotel with a modern flair.
(photo @tripadvisor.com)
Downtown Berkeley Inn

The following morning we rode
BART (bay area rapid transit)
to the Oakland Museum of California.
Designed by Kevin Roche in 1969,
it is considered to be one of the most
significant architectural examples of
mid century modernism in the United States.
(photo above and below @ topboxcdesign.com)
Oakland Museum of California  Design by Mark Cavagnero Associates
There was so much to see
I could go on forever but I won't.
Here are some highlights.

(Charles and Ray Eames exhibit.)

(Kem Weber airline chair. 1934-35)

(Sam Maloof setee. 1969)


(Arthur Espenet Carpenter. Rib Chair. 1968)
)

Plywood and vinyl seating is placed
throughout the museum...
(form follows function)
I needed to rest !

What a trip.

PEACE!

(Big Peace IV. Tony Labat. 2008)

15 comments:

  1. Is there a point where one says, "Oh my God!", "Oh my God!" too often? I was blaspheming at every photo! I'd love to come and visit you, we'd have so much fun!

    What fabulous shops and furniture ... and the exhibition! That green and white chest of drawers. How much was that?

    I'd cry if I saw original Eames' furniture. Cry.

    What a wonderful trip. Thank you for showing those photos. I can't believe the Mid-Century stuff over there.

    Hello son #3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say MMMC, that I wanted to drop to my knees and cry out to the MCM gods "Hallelujah I've seen the promise land!!" on so many occasions during that trip but I spared my son the humiliation of picking his mother up off the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, the green and white Broyhill chest of drawers is $1200. Ouch! Come for a visit and I'll take you in for a viewing and catch you when you faint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, this is why I don't go to museums or MCM stores. I'd be sobbing because I couldn't afford all the cool pieces. It's such torture. It's more fun for me when I run across one at the flea market and score...instead of being upset that I don't earn enough money for my wished for lifestyle!!!

    PS: King Dong? My, my.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know Barbara...it was a little painful. At least we have thrift stores and flea markets that don't break the bank.

    Ha, King Dong! Doesn't sound too appetizing does it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The green and white dresser is to die for. And the orange bench in the museum could have been an exhibit on its own!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Jill...and made of plywood! I want to make one of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will have to talk my son into going to the Oakland Museum the next time I'm down there. This exhibit looks so interesting.
    Haven't been to the museum in years.
    Also, the Modernaire on Dwight Way looks like a great place to go shopping.
    Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is indeed a beautiful and interesting museum. Also, the food in the cafeteria was outstanding...and the view was amazing. You should definitely plan a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to go to that museum. What a great trip you had with your son. Looks like you had beautiful weather too, that was lucky. Thanks for the very inspiring post. Tina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Tina. Yep, the weather was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a trip! I'm going to have to set aside an hour to look at all the pictures in this post. They're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seems like you had a fantastic trip! I would get completely lost in the record store and would have spent a day and a fortune there. Love the mid-century modern chairs and seating. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a fun post! The pictures are awesome, and some are hilarious. I'm dying over the museum exhibits.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It all looks wonderful! Those are definitely some places I'd like to visit some day!

    ReplyDelete